Lyons Widens Role at WGBH

Louis M. Lyons, Curator of the Nieman Fellowships, who is retiring from the University this June, will expand his activities as newscaster for WGBH-TV beginning this summer. Lyons currently works part-time with the station, broadcasting a daily news show in the early evening.

Under his new arrangement with WGBH, Lyons will increase his coverage of special news stories and will write and help film several documentary features. He plans to cover both 1964 political conventions for WGBH and for the Boston Globe, where he worked prior to his job at Harvard.

According to Hartford Gunn, manager of WGBH, Lyons will join the station's payroll in the first part of July. Although Lyons has broadcast for WGBH since 1951, he has never been paid by the station; his salary has been contributed by the University.

Lyons recently won the DuPont Award as the best television commentator of 1963, the first time that anyone on educational television has won a DuPont.

Lyons hopes to salvage enough time from his work with WGBH both to write on his own and to begin work as a trustee of the University of Massachusetts, his alma mater.

His successor as Curator of the Nieman Fellowships has already been picked by President Pusey and the appointment needs only approval of the Board of Overseers, which meets on May 11.