Skyscraper Motel Planned for 1965

To Rise 23 Stories In Brattle Square

By David M. Gordon

A huge high-rise, 23-story motel will be built in Brattle Square this year. Construction on the building, which will be the tallest building in Cambridge, will begin this June.

According to tentative architectural plans, the new motor hotel may also be Cambridge's fanciest. Above a ground floor and six floors of garage space, a terraced swimming pool will cater to sun-worshippers. On top of that, a slim tower with about 250 rooms will rise far into the sky.

The new motel will be constructed on the site of the Amoco gas station at 104 Mt. Auburn Street. The auditorium of the Pi Eta Club, which lies back of the station, will also be torn down to make way for the building which will be completed by fall, 1965.

A holding company of the Beacon Construction Company in Brookline--known as the R&N Development Company--bought the gas station land about two years ago, but was uncertain until recently what it would do with the property.

Negotiations are not yet complete, but the motor hotel may offer itself to the public as a "Howard Johnson's Motel."

To get the Brattle Square property, R & N paid $34 per square foot, a price approaching New York realty values. According to David Messer, who handled the negotiations, "we realized the price was high, but we felt the property couldn't be duplicated, that the value was definitely there."

In reaction to the selling price, Charles P. Whitlock, assistant to the President for Civic Affairs, said "this demonstrates that the MTA Yards should be developed as soon as possible. The pressure for commercial development around here is tremendous."

According to Messer, William B. Tabler '36 of New York City will design the motel. Tabler specializes in tall hotels, and has designed several Hilton Hotels scattered around the country.

Liquor Store Will Stay

Although the architectural plans are not yet final, the first seven stories--containing a lobby, restaurant, cocktall lounge and six floors of parking space--will be housed in an L-shaped structure. This part of the building will be wrapped around the Hamilton Liquor Store, which the holding company was unable to buy. Mrs. Helen O'Rourke, who owns the Hamilton building, said that she was not offered a high enough price to interest her.

Cambridge zoning ordinances do not specify a maximum height for buildings in the Brattle Square area. Although Beacon has not yet applied for a building permit, they anticipate no problems from the city authorities.

Building permits to the contrary not withstanding, the new structure will dwarf every other building in Cambridge. Leverett Towers rise twelve floors above the river, and the William James Hall will have only 15. Even the Health Center--just two blocks away--will look tiny is comparison.