Defense Sparkles as Lacrossemen Win 3

Crimson Stuns Tough U. of Baltimore Team During Vacation Tour

By Steven V. Roberts

The only conclusion to be drawn after the lacrosse team's spring trip is that nothing is concluded. If the Crimson can realize the potential it displayed in brief flashes it could win all five of its Ivy League games. If its various weaknesses remain uncorrected. Harvard will have to struggle for every victory.

After losing to Rutgers in its first game last Tuesday, the Crimson won three straight. Its most impressive triumph was a 6-4 upset of a strong Baltimore University team on Friday. The Crimson, also defeated C.W. Post, 11-7, on Wednesday and C.C.N.Y., 8-7 on Saturday.

As the low scores indicate, the Harvard defense was consistently good and often superb. Goalie Orm Hammond made 23 stops against Post and 21 against Baltimore. His play against the Bees was spectacular, as Harvard won its first game in many years in Baltimore--the lacrosse capital of the world.

The defensive play of Charlie Kessler, Dan Calderwood, and Fred Gates was rough and aggressive, though the trio occasionally had trouble in clearing the ball from the Harvard end of the field. Coggie Williams and Toby Hay, the fastest of the defensemen, were solid replacements.

The attack was far rustier. Lou Williams scored nine goals, and ranged all over the field to snare loose balls and terrorize smaller opponents. Dick Ames and Ted Leary scored only two goals apiece, however, and had trouble feeding Williams and the midfielders. Bo Willard played briefly and scored one goal, but will have to improve his shot to be much help.

Newton Excels

Coach Bruce Monro selected Dexter Newton to play with Tink Gunnoe and Pete Wood on the first midfield, and the sophomore picked up more loose balls than any man on the field. Gunnoe, the team's leading scorer last season, made six goals and six assists: Wood scored six times and assisted on three goals. Along with Williams, Gunnoe and Wood are the only reliable shooters on the team, and that is the Crimson's major flaw.

Bruce Caputo, Larry Palmer, and Mike Bassett (who played only two games on the trip) scored one goal apiece. But the second and third midfields, which played well defensively, showed little capacity to score.

Lapse Against Rutgers

If it were not for a fatal three minute lapse against Rutgers, the Crimson could be undefeated. Midway in the second period Rutgers overcame a Harvard lead with four quick goals. As a result of a penalty the Crimson had a one-man advantage for three minutes in the fourth period but could not score.

Against Post Harvard's lead was cut to 8-7 in the final period, but Bassett scored an unassisted goal to restore a two-goal margin. Ames then hit Williams with two quick passes to ice the game.

Leary's goal on a pass from Wally Whitney broke a 4-4 deadlock in the final period of the Baltimore game, Gunnoe, who had three assists and a goal in the game, fed Williams for the final score.

C.C.N.Y., normally a pushover for Ivy teams, capitalized on the Crimson's complaceny and mounted a 5-3 lead in the second half. Williams with two goals, and Caputo with a goal and an assist, sparked a rally that produced five straight tallies. C.C.N.Y. fought back with two final goals, but it was not enough.