Sailors 4th at MacMillan Cup Meet But Take 1st in Florida 'Fish Race'

Stookey Leads Team

The Crimson sailing team competed in three regattas over the vacation, with varying degrees of success.

In the MacMillan Cup Regatta at Annapolis, the team finished fourth behind Babson, Coast Guard, and Dartmouth, but ahead of defending champion Yale. The Crimson entry, skippered by senior Dave Stookey, finished second, seventh, and sixth in the three individual races.

The meet was sailed in 44-foot Naval Academy yawls, and marked the only opportunity for the team to sail in craft of substantial size this year.

This final two races were plagued by light variable winds which frequently baffled the Crimson afterguard. On the last leg of the last race the team was solidly ensconced in second position, but slipped to sixth at the finish as the

First of the Fish

At the St. Petersburg Invitational Regatta March 28 and 29 Stookey, Dave Gants, and Tim Prince co-skippered the Crimson to first place in the Fish class. Against seven other schools the team performed consistently and finished with 1-2-4-3-3-3-3 placings. Florida State was second and St. Petersburg Junior College third. The graff-rigged keel sloops posed quite a problem for the sailors, whose experience has been mostly center-board cat boats.

Against M.I.T., the University of Rhode Island, and Boston College in the Geiger Trophy team races last Sunday, the Crimson finished third. Prince, Guy Garden, Herb Motley, Roger Carney, and Tucker Emmett lost twice to M.I.T. and U.R.I., but won both races against B.C.