Here and Other Places

By Andrew T. Weil

(Editor's Note: With this column, the CRIMSON inaugurates a series of diverting articles to entertain and enlighten Harvard students during reading and exam periods. Twice each week from now until the end of the term, "Here and Other Places" will provide earlymorning escape from the tedium of studies. In the first installment we present a preview of subjects to be treated in weeks to come.)

Central Kitchens: Blessing or Blight. Ever wondered what you get back for those outrageous board prices? By tracing the life and death of a Central Kitchen hamburger, we will prove how waste, inefficiency, and staff featherbedding have run riot in the College Dining Halls.

A Garden of Trees. One of those "other places" we will visit is Arnold Arboretum, the University's unmatched collection of exotic trees in suburban Boston.

A Club Tour of Harvard. "Here" to some, "other places" to others, Harvard clubs are sources of much controversy. Your columnist takes you behind brick walls and heavy drapes to give you an unbiased account of club life.

The Rich Get Richer. An analysis of the Great Scholarship Lottery and why it doesn't live up to the expectations of administrators in the Financial Aid Office.

Off-Campus Living. The problems of moving out of the Houses and setting up housekeeping in the Square. We shall include simple tips on home cooking, hired help, and neighborhood relations.

The World of Widener. Where to go and what to do in America's third largest library. How the new computerized checkout system works. Come with us on a tour of the X-section--skeleton in Widener's stacks. And meet the Widener girls.

A Day in the Life of a Senior Tutor. Your columnist follows one of Harvard's Allston Burr Senior Tutors on his rounds as he solves student's problems, fulfills social commitments, and tries to lead a meaningful private life.

Beat the Parking Rap. A detailed explanation of the methods of University Police in ticketing illegally- parked cars may help you to find a nearby overnight haven for your automobile when you are too tired to walk back from the Business School parking lot.

The Silent Partners. The little-known story of cooperation between two of Harvard's largest agencies: the HCUA and the HSA.

Harvard Architecture at the Crossroads. A controversial Harvard architect boasted recently, "I found Harvard a city of brick, and I will leave it a city of cement." Many Cambridge residents deplore current trends in University building design. Your columnist shows you how Administration preferences, Faculty demands, and budgetary constraints combine to produce the latest borror at which you will look askance.

Lampoon Hoaxes Through the Years. The on-again, off-again Harvard Lampoon has occasionally pulled off masterful pranks, from stealing the Massachusetts Sacred Cod to publishing parodics of the CRIMSON.