CRCC Protest Blocked By Police Parade Ban

By Stephen Bellc

Cambridge Police Chief Daniel J. Brennan has refused to grant a parade permit to the Civil Rights Coordinating Committee for a demonstration this Sunday, according to William W. Hodes '66, one of the leaders of the planned rally.

Though Brennan could not be reached for comment last night, he is known to object to the scheduling of the demonstration on a Sunday, and to CRCC's proposed march from the Common to the Cambridge Post Office.

The demonstration is scheduled to commemorate the tenth anniversary of the Supreme Court school desegegation decision. At the Post Office the marchers plan to send letters to President Johnson asking protection for students working in Mississippi this summer.

City Solicitor Richard D. Gerould '24 said last night that "Cambridge has laws about parades, and the Police Chief has the final word on how to enforce them." He added that holidays and anniversaries falling on a weekend should be celebrated the following Monday.

Gerald A. Berlin, former assistant Attorney General of Massachusetts, said last night that even if Brennan has an ordinance behind him, it would be unconstitutional if "mischievously capriciously, or arbitrarily applied."

CRCC leaders cite recent precedents for Sunday marches and demonstrations without a permit. On May 12, 1963, a Sunday, CRCC led a demonstration from the Cambridge Common to a protest rally in Boston.

Just two weeks ago, Tocsin's Vietnam protesters paraded in the Square without police permission.

If Brennan does not relent, the University has offered CRCC the use of either Soldier's Field or the grassy plot beside the IAB for the rally, barring legal complications, Dean Watson said last night.

Unless Brennan can cite some substantive reason for blocking the demonstration, CRCC officials plan to adhere to their schedule and face the consequences in court.

Reached for comment last night, Thomas F. Pettigrew, associate professor of Social Relations and honorary chairman of the demonstration, said "I certainly hope we'll be allowed to assemble like good American citizens this Sunday."