Lacrosse Team Could Win Ivy Title By Defeating Yale Squad Tomorrow

By Steven V. Roberts

Having confounded all the so-called experts thus far, the lacrosse team can clinch a tie for the Ivy League title it has never won by defeating Yale tomorrow in New Haven.

If Harvard wins and Princeton--league champion for the last seven years--loses to Dartmouth the Crimson will own the title outright.

Fifth in a six-team league last year, the Crimson was given at best an outside chance to crack the first division this season. Yale and Cornell would bothez Princeton, it was thought, but no one also could possibly challenge the invincible Tigers.

But after losing its first game to Rutgers the Crimson won four straight independent games before pounding Cornell, 13-9, in the league opener. Five more victims, including Penn and Brown, fell to the Crimson before Princeton won a narrow 7-6 victory here two weeks ago.

In losing to Princeton, 13-12, in the final four seconds, Yale showed that it might have mastered the system installed by its new coach, Dick Corrigan. There have been rumors that the Yalies rebelled against the methods of Corrigan, a former Navy coach, and they were not exactly outstanding in losing to Brown and Dartmouth earlier this year.

But the Elis really shook Princeton. Captain Demi Gibson scored four goals to lead the offense. He teams with a superb sophomore, Mac Bradford, and football quarterback Brian Rapp on the attack.

The top midfielders are another sophomore, Dick Pershing, another football player, Pete Cummings, Mike Rosati and Mike Sherwood.

Ron Ogilvie is not the world's best goalie, but Charlie Benoit and Gib Harvard a sizeable defensive unit.

The Elis' over-anxious midfielders are aften trapped by fast breaks, and Harvard is the team to exploit that weapon. The Crimson displayed a dazzling passing game last week that had the Dartmouth coach moaning. "I've never seen a team throw five good passes before scoring a goal."

The first midfield must continue to score, however, and Wednesday the trio of Pete Wood, Tink Gunnoe and Dexter Newton scored 10 goals as the Crimson defeated the Boston Lacrosse Club, 14-13, in an exhibition game. Wood, who has scored six goals in the last two games, tallied six against BLC and Gunnoe had three.