Soc. Sci. 1 Staff Plans Increased Lectures; Hughes Will Teach

Social Sciences 1 will make major changes in its schedule of lectures and sections, and in its teaching staff, next year.

Instead of offering one lecture and two sections a week, the course will give alternate weekly "blocks" of three lectures and then, in the following week, three sections. The shift was prompted by the feeling that one class period was too short a time for a lecturer "to say something significant" about an historical period.

Thematic Development

"One needs a series of at least three lectures if you're going to say anything constructive," Theodore K. Rabb, assistant professor of History, said last night. "Presumably next year, the lecturer can really develop a theme." Rabb himself will lecture on the Renaissance, Reformation, and the 17th century.

Also next year, H. Stuart Hughes, professor of History, will take over the period from the 18th century to the present now taught by David E. Owen Gurney now taught by David E. Owen, Gurney Professor of History and Political Science. Owen departs on a one-year sabbatcal to England.

Sufferers from Soc Sci 1's traditionally monstrous reading list may receive some relief as a part of the course's transformation. The entire list will be reviewed this summer and may be altered or even shortened.