CEP May Get Doty Report By Late May

Report Will Be Sent To Faculty Members

By Charles W. Bevard jr.

The Doty Committee report may be made public after the May 20 Committee on Educational Policy meeting, Paul M. Doty, professor of Chemistry and chairman of the committee, said yesterday.

Doty said although there was "certainly no more than a 50-50 chance" that the report, a study of the General Education program, would be ready for the scheduled meeting of the CEP, his committee was still aiming for that date.

That meeting is the last one scheduled this year for the CEP, but according to Doty there is a possibility of calling a special meeting May 27 or even June 3 if the report is not ready on the 20th.

A draft copy of the Doty report, submitted to the CEP late in March, was returned to the Doty Committee about a week and a half ago. Doty said that his group had "gotten a number of good ideas" from the CEP. "They contributed more than mere suggestion."

Once the report is approved by the CEP it will be duplicated and distributed to the full Faculty. Then the CEP will draft legislation based on the report and submit it to the Faculty for consideration.

Doty said that there was little chance that the CEP would begin drafting the legislation until next Fall.

The Doty Committee was appointed by Dean Ford in October, 1962, to ask "basic questions about the proper role of the American college at a time when the greater part of our students are going on to graduate and professional schools."

Its report will be the second formal reappraisal of the 17-year-old Gen Ed Program. The first, a study of the Natural Science Gen Ed courses, was issued in 1959.