Friedman Cautions Against Rights Bill

Milton Friedman, professor of economics at the University of Chicago and bogeyman of Ec 1, last night defended the "free-market principles" of "unanimity without conformity" against encroachments by the "coercive mechanism" of "the political method."

In a talk sponsored by the Young Conservative Club, Friedman spent most of the evening criticising the Civil Rights Bill. "The majority in this country are prejudiced," he stated, "and it is naive--no, it's undemocratic,--to suppose you're going to get people to vote against themselves."

But he also found time to consider the tax cut ("naive"), legislation guaranteeing equal wages to women ("antifeminist") the Federal Reserve Board ("it has never worked"), the draft ("an invasion of privacy"), legislation in general ("in case after case, laws have had the opposite effect of what was intended"), and the market mechanism ("protects the interests of minoriy groups").

The Civil Rights Bill, said Friedman, is "wrong in principle," because it attempts to make people "conform to the values of the majority."

This bill is made worse, he said, because in actually there is only the "appearance of a majority" in favor of passing it. "The only reason the bill has a ghost of a chance," he said, is that Northerners will vote for it thinking it applies to the "regional problem" of the South.

"It is extraordinary to see how naive one can be in this area" of legislation, he declared. "If we pass a law saying that race shall not be a factor in employment, then what grounds do we have for opposing a law that race shall be a factor?"

The most valid grounds, he continued, are "the general principle that the state shall not interfere in these matters."

"The Negro is undoubtedly hurt" by segregation, said Friedman, and "the appropriate recourse is to try to persuade people that they are wrong."

However, "the most important" solution is to eliminate "barriers" to equality, specifically, fair employment practices legislation. If the free market is allowed to operate, said Friedman, prejudice will result in lower wages for Negroes.

"Each of us separately," he said, can then "try to offset the actions of others through our own economic atcivity." By being unprejudiced and hiring Negroes, "we get things at less cost," he said. "Not only does virtue triumph--it is even rewarded."