600 Cliffies to Fast for SNCC; Drive May Spur Harvard Effort

Radcliffe dining halls will be two thirds empty at dinner May 14 as over 600 Cliffies fast for civil rights.

Some 610 students and two head residents have volunteered to go hungry an order to donate the $210 saved to the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee. About 950 girls usually eat dinner in the dormitories.

The idea of the fast appears to be spreading. The residents of Jordan W. a cooperative house which cooks its own meals, are also planning to skip dinner on May 14. And on the other side of the , students in Adams and Leverett Houses are attempting to organize a Harvard equivalent.

The RGA Legislature approved the 'Cliffe "Fast for Freedom" at its meeting last week. Cliffies were given five days to sign up so the kitchen officials would know how many meals to prepare.

Reactions to the fast varied widely from dorm to dorm. All 22 students and the senior resident of Warner House signed up to skip dinner and 62 out of Barnard's 66 girls volunteered.

Large Dorms Object

But the residents of three large dormitories--Comstock, Moors, and Holmes--responded with apathy and outright hostility. In each, fewer than half the girls volunteered.

In Holmes, an active opposition attempted to discourage potential fasters. Thirty five girls initiated a counter-petition, which asserted that "We definitely support SNCC but cannot endorse the method and the precedent that would be set by RGA." One signer evidently considered even the counter-petition too extreme and substituted "probably" for "definitely."

Large Dorms Object