Winthrop Bids Farewell to Owen

Winthrop, House last night bude farewell to one of the most popular Masters in the history of the House system.

At the annual senior dinner, David E. Owen, Gurney Professor of History and Political Science, modestly accepted two standing ovations and the praise of President Pusey and Stanley Hoffman, professor of Government.

Standish Meacham Jr., Allston Burr Senior Tutor, presented a portrait of Master Owen to the House as the gift of the Senior Common Room, undergraduates, and alumni of Winthrop House.

He also announced the construction this summer of a new private dining room in the House, the Owen Room. Mrs. Louise Owen, the Master's wife and one of the House's most exuberant supporters, was presented a composite of photographs of Winthrop scenes through the years.

Speaking for the undergraduates, W. Max Byrd '64 praised Master Owen for "coaching the House through a Renaissance" and said "we have been uncommonly well-educated" by knowing Master Owen.

Hoffmann, speaking for the Senior Common Room, praised Master Owen as the "Master of a number of arts that are difficult to master." President Pusey, for the University, pointed out "Harvard's debt" to Master Owen for his seven years of distinguished service as a Master.