Wiggins Explains Fast for SNCC Not Likely Here

A "Fast for Freedom" at Harvard like the one currently planned at Radcliffe would be very difficult to stage, L. Gard Wiggins, Administrative Vict-President of University, indicated yesterday.

Students in Adams and Leverett Houses have proposed that Harvard students also forego one meal for SNCC. No official move for a fast has been organized, however, and no estimate of possible saving has been made.

"I don't think it could be arranged," Wiggins said. Purchasing Department activities would have to be rescheduled, and dining hall employees' hours would be rearranged. In addition, the money saved by such a fast would not include the whole cost of a meal, but simply the cost of the food. This is also the case at Radcliffe. Under union rules, dining hall employees must still be paid for working the meal, Wiggins explained.

C. Graham Huribut, Director of University Dining Halls, agreed that a fast would create complicated administrative problems. He could undertake the project only with faculty or administration approval.

At Radcliffe some 621 students have volunteered to go hungry at dinner on May 14 in order to donate the $310 saved to the Student Nonviolent Coordination Committee.