Johnson Reveals Power Breakthrough

By A. DOUGLAS Matthews, (Special to the CRIMSON)

WORCESTER, Mass., June 10--President Johnson revealed today that the United States has recently "achieved an economic breakthrough in the use of large scale nuclear reactors for commercial power" that places the country "years ahead of its planned progress."

Speaking to a crowd of 20,000 at Holy Cross Commencement exercises here, the Chief Executive looked beyond the immediate problems of international conflict to those which "will persist beyond the cold war."

The President addressed himself to the three problems of poverty, disease, and diminishing natural resources. He proposed that 1965, the twentieth birthday of the United Nations and already designated International Cooperation Year, be "a turning point in the struggle--not of man against man, but of man against nature."

He promised that the new nuclear technology developed by the U.S. "will be available to the world" and mentioned the potential use of large-scale reactors in combination desalination and electrical plants.

On the medical front, Johnson cited pilot projects in West Africa that helped develop methods of immunizing young Africans against the area's biggest killer of children, measles. He said that 25 per cent of the susceptible population in then ten-minute old results of the successful 71-29 Senate cloture vote on the civil rights bill, he was interrupted by a thunderous, stadium-wide standing ovation.

"Emerging Community"

Johnson cautioned that "those who live in an emerging community of nations will ignore the problems of their neighbors at the risk of their own prosperity."

He called upon the college generation to bring the qualities of resolution and compassion to bear on the challenge of shaping "the great world society which is the ultimate purpose of peace."

The chief executive closed his address with an injunction to the graduates to "put your hands in the service of man and your hearts in the service of God," seven countries of West Africa have been immunized this year as a result of the research.

Finally, the President said that the United States will move ahead with plans to devise a world-wide weather system--using the satellite and facilities of all industrialized countries.

When Johnson departed momentarily from his prepared text to announce the

An honorary Doctor of Civil Law degree was conferred upon the President by college President Very Reverend Raymond J. Swords, S.J. It was the 24th honorary degree Johnson has received, the fifth within the past several weeks.