4650 Summer School Students to Register In Mem Hall Today for 89th Annual Session

Harvard Graduate Enrollment Is up Almost 25 Per Cent

By Richard Cotton

Approximately 4650 students, one of the largest and most carefully selected groups in the Summer School's history, is expected to register today and tomorrow for the School's 89th session.

Havard and Radcliffe students will make up about one-fourth of the student body, if preliminary estimates prove accurate. The majority of students will come from other eastern colleges, according to Thomas E. Crooks '49, director of the Summer School, and the Ivy colleges and the Seven Sisters will have particularly strong representation.

Last year's 27 per cent increase in the number of Harvard graduate students is reflected in a similar jump in this year's advance registration figures. In April 421 students from the Harvard Graduate School of Arts and Sciences registered for the Summer School--more than the total number of Harvard grad students that attended last year's session.

The Harvard-Radcliffe undergraduate contingent will still outnumber the graduates, despite a ten per cent drop in advance registration. About 550 students from the two undergraduate colleges are expected to attend summer classes.

The School's official program begins tomorrow night at the Convocation in Sanders theatre at 8 p.m. Theodore R. Sizer, dean of the School of Education, will be the main speaker.

Harvard men will outnumber the Cliffies in the usual wintertime ratio of 4:1, but the rest of the summer students will even out the proportion of the sexes. Males are still expected to remain in a slight majority, however, as they have for the last several years.

Popular Misconception

Crooks observed that many people mistakenly believe the Summer School is for women because most men live off campus and the women are housed in the Yard dormitories. During the regular academic year, all undergraduates are required to live in College dormi- tories, and freshmen live in the Yard.

An increasingly rigorous Summer School admissions policy has succeeded in weeding out students unprepared for college work and those not interested in studying, Crooks believes. "We're taking a closer look at all applications," he said, and the School requested further information beyond the short application form from more students than ever before.

This year's summer school faculty is evenly divided between regular Harvard faculty and visiting professors from other institutions, both here and abroad. Last year, close to 60 per cent of the summer teaching staff was from the regular Harvard faculty