CORE Will Pay Fines for Persons Arrested in Demonstration at Bick

The Boston chapter of the Congress of Racial Equality is attempting to raise money to pay any fines resulting from the arrest of 27 persons in a civil rights demonstration outside the Hayes-Bickford Cafeteria July 11.

Edward, Barshak, attorney for CORE, is preparing the case for presentation in Third District Court Monday morning.

Seven of the demonstrators, who were staging a stand-in inside the Bick, were charged with trespassing. The other 20--of whom six were by-standers and 14 CORE picketers--were charged with disturbing the peace.

A spokesman for CORE said last night that the group hoped to raise $1000 before the trial, and was depending primarily on private individuals for contributions.

Any money collected which is not needed to pay fines will be donated to the Mississippi Summer Project.

The spokesman said that CORE had planned to avoid having demonstrators arrested; if the Bick management had called the police, the demonstrators would have left. When police did approach the picketers and urged the crowd to disperse, an M.I.T. graduate student went up to an officer to ask him a question. He was promptly arrested, and this was the spark which touched off the fireworks.

CORE does not at present plan any further demonstrations against the Bick. CORE had been negotiating with the Bick since last October over their Negro hiring policy, and these negotiations were resumed the day after the picketing and arrests took place.