Poor Mound Staff Mires Red Sox in Fifth Place

Boston Hitting Spectacular But...

By R. ANDREW Beyer

Imagine a baseball team with three .300 hitters and the best squad batting average in the majors, the league leaders in doubles, triples and runs batted in, two of the league's top home run hitters, and possibly the best pitcher in the game.

A dream team? Nope. It's the 1964 Boston Red Sox, currently wallowing in fifth place in the American League.

There is no mystery enshrouding the Sox' lowly standing. The name of the game is pitching, and Boston's pitching staff is named Dick Radatz. The Monster is on his way to recognition as one of the greatest relief pitchers in history; this year he has appeared in half the Red Sox games, complied a 1.77 earned run, average, and struck out an astounding 37 batters in 73 innings.

But the rest of the staff is horribly erratic. Bill Monboquette, a 20-game winner last season, has won three games this year. Two other starters, Jack Lamabe and Dave Morehead, are almost as undependable. Only fastballer Earl Wilson, very mediocre last season, has performed consistently well; his record is 8-3.

Interest Still Alive

On the other hand, the Red Sox' performance at the plate has been more than enough to keep the home town fans' interest alive. There is hardly a weak link in the entire batting order. Old pro Frank Malzone (.200) is turning in his usual fine performance; shortstop Eddie Bressoud (.305) and catchers Russ Nixon (.328) and Bob Tillman (.303) are having the finest years of their careers. Dick "Stonefingers" Stuart is belting the hide off the ball as usual (14 homers and 47 RBI's). Carl Yastrzemski, last year's American League batting champion, is having an off year, but will surely be hitting .290 by September.

But the biggest stir by far has been caused by 19-year old rookie outfielder Tony Conigliaro, who is already eliciting comparisons with Boston's immortal Ted Williams. With only half a season of Class D ball under his belt, Tony C. is batting .282, with 13 home runs, and he's getting better and better.

No pennants will be flying over Fenway Park next October, but the Sox can be counted on to put on a good show; they are playing consistently exciting, if not consistently winning, baseball. And if the Sox can come up with a couple of reliable starting pitchers, "next year" may be just around the corner.