Student Raps Brandeis Ban On Parietals

By James Herzig

The president of the Brandeis Student council has denounced the university's decision to abolish all parietal hours as a "sacrifice of its students in order to create an image."

In a letter to parents of Brandeis students, Council president of Steven Mora '65 dealed not only the content of the new ruling, but the maner in which it was brought about.

The ruling climaxed a general tightening of parietal laws which began after the spring of 1963, when six students were suspended for illegal use of drugs. Many Brandeis students view the series of new regulations as an attempt to reestablish an image of responsibility for the University. In doing so, the school has abandoned both its liberal ideals and its students, Mora said.

He explained that students at Brandies, who are constantly told of their academic excellence, find it difficult to understand that they are considered incapable of making decisions about the problems which confront them in their personal lives.

The student body was given to understand that an "environment committee" with students on it would play a substantial part in the policy making decision. Instead, Mora said, this committee was ignored and used as a pigeonhole for student opinion.

The Council president also noted that responsibility for collection of a student activity fee had been, shifted from the administration to the student body.

He attributed this to the administration's desire to dissociate itself from the campus newspaper, peace groups, civil rights groups, and other controversial activities.