Peace Corps Gaining Favor Among Seniors

The Peace Corps is becoming increasingly popular among Harvard students headed into the Real World.

The percentage of the graduating seniors planning full-time employment who volunteered for the Corps has jumped for the fourth straight year--this time to 16. In 1961, eight per cent of the seniors in this group volunteered for the Peace Corps. In 1962 the figure moved up to 13 per cent, in 1963 to 14 per cent.

At the same time, the percentage of each class planning immediate employment has moved up from 15 in 1961 and 1962, to 17 per cent in 1963 and 18 per cent in 1964. Consequently, the percentage of each graduating class volunteering for the Peace Corps has been increasing at a slightly higher rate than the 8-12-14-16 percent figures indicate.

Corps Is Fourth

The peace Corps ranks fourth in popularity with seniors headed for immediate employment--after engineering, research, and technical jobs, according to Michael Shinagel, formerly associate director of the Office of Graduate and Career Plans.

A January 8 survey indicated that 84 Harvard graduates and graduate students were serving in the Peace Corps; they comprised about one per cent of the total number of volunteers.