'68 Will Live In Off-Campus 'Cliffe Houses

By Heather J. Dubrow

Thirty-two Radcliffe freshmen will live in off-campus houses this year for the first time in Radcliffe's history. A rooming shortage has forced college authorities to place the freshmen in three newly-converted houses rather than the traditional brick dorms.

However, these special residences will be much more closely allied to the dormitories than the regular off-campus houses. The upperclassmen who live off-campus contract to eat only one meal a day at Radcliffe, but the freshmen will contract for all three meals.

College Supplies Food

The ten students living in Putnam House (69 Brattle St.) will cook their own breakfast with food supplied by the college but will eat lunch and dinner in the dormitories of South House. The eleven freshmen in 46 Concord Street will take all three meals in Barnard Hall, and the eleven residents of 103 Walker Street will eat in Cabot Hall.

The off-campus freshmen will also participate in the work programs of the dorms in which they eat. 103 Walker is even more closely integrated with Cabot Hall, using the Cabot common rooms as well as the dorm's meal facilities.

Married couples have been appointed resident fellows in 45 Concord and 103 Walker, in contrast to the single graduate student who lives in the upperclass houses. The Administration felt this arrangement preferable for helping freshmen adjust to Radcliffe.

Even though the new freshmen houses were created as an emergency measure, they may be continued in the future. "The program is experimental this year," Mary Winslow, director of Residence, noted, "but I think it offers these freshmen many advantages."

Many of the new students seemed enthusiastic when they saw their houses. "It's like a real room!" declared one member of the Class of '63.