Upperclassmen Register at Harvard, 'Cliffe; Sectioning Plan to End Early-Bird Queues

Gen Ed Courses To Ignore Time

By Martin S. Levine

A total of 4350 upperclassmen will register today at Harvard and Radcliffe. The figure is just the same as last year, but then so is nearly everything else about registration.

The only major exception is a change in the sectioning procedure for limited enrollment courses. As a "very important notice" in students' registration packets will explain, applications to enroll in 13 such courses will now be considered regardless of the time they are filed.

The reform--which affects Fine Arts 13; Natural Sciences 4, 5, 6, 9, and 10; Humanities 1, 2, 5, and 6; and Social Sciences 2, 3, and 8--will thus eliminate the early-morning vigils that have marked Saturday sectioning meetings each semester. These meetings will continue to be held, however, for courses with unlimited enrollments.

Sargent Kennedy '28, registrar of the College, said that the new procedure was designed to eliminate incidents like one last year, when several hundred students camped out in a light rain to enroll in Nat Sci 6, a course in evolution. William W. Howells '30, professor of Anthropology, had predicted that the course, which he taught, would "attract all the least energetic minds in the University."

This year, students who want to enroll in most of the limited-enrollment courses will file applications on Friday or Saturday and will find out Monday whether or not they have been accepted. In some limited courses, applications will be accepted at first meetings next week.

It was not immediately clear what criteria would be used to determine admission to a limited course, but applications have never gone above the limits in some courses, and these are expected simply to accept everyone who wants to get in.

Harvard upperclassmen--estimated by Kennedy to number 3500--will sign in at Memorial Hall between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.

At Radcliffe, all 850 upperclassmen will register between 9 and 5 in Agassix.