Leontief to Head Learned Society

Wassily W. Leontief, Henry Lee Professor of Economics, has been appointed Chairman of the Society of Fellows.

Leontief will assume the chairmanship of the company of senior and junior scholars next Fall, after a year of research at the Center for Advanced Study of the Behavioral Sciences at Stanford, Calif.

Crane Brinton '19, McLean Professor of Ancient and Modern History, is retiring after 22 years as Chairman.

Serving as Acting Chairman of the Society this year will be Harry T. Levin '33, Irving Babbitt Professor of Comparative Literature.

Owen, Bloch Elected

President Pusey has also announced the elections as Senior Fellows of David Owen, Gurney Professor of History and Political Science, and Herbert Bloch, professor of Greek and Latin.

Owen and Bloch join with seven other scholars who, along with President Pusey and Dean Ford, are the Senior Fellows. These men each year select about eight young men for the Junior Fellowships, which provide three years at the University free for research, creative work or study, with access to all the University's facilities.

Leontief will be the third Chairman of the 30-year-old Society. Which was founded by President Lowell. The new Chairman is known especially for his work in developing the "input-output" method of analyzing national economies.