Quintet Plays at Dartmouth Tonight; Tall Indian Squad Could Pull Upset

By Richard Andrews

Dartmouth's basketball team has won only one game out of their last 20, but there could be trouble ahead when Harvard plays at Hanover tonight.

On the basis of comparative scores, the Indians should be 34-points favorites over the Crimson. Last Friday Dartmouth forced Cornell into overtime before losing 95 to 91; the next day, Cornell clobbered Harvard by 33 points.

These scores are misleading, of course--Harvard has a better team than Dartmouth--but they do indicate that the Indians are not the patsies of the Ivy League this season, as they were last year.

The Crimson had better not be lulled into complacency by the Green's won-lost record either. Dartmouth lost its last 12 games last year, opened its season with a 73-65 win over Vermont, and now has lost seven straight. But look at their schedule: the Indians played Boston College in December, and on a junket through the Midwest over the holidays lost to Ohio State, Dayton, and Kentucky. That sort of a schedule would scare Princeton.

Dartmouth Coach "Doggie" Julian has started all sophomores in most of the games this year, and so the quintet can be expected to get better and better as they gain experience. These sophomores give Dartmouth a well-balanced team, and the tallest starting five in the Ivy League. Forwards Gunnar Malm (6-7) and Pete Dunlop (6-5) are both averaging 11 points per game. Center Jack Lockhart, who stands 6-7, is averaging 13.8 points and 10 rebounds a game. The guards are 6-1 Bill Engster and 6-3 Lyndon Waugh. Not many teams in the League can afford the luxury of having a 6-3 man play in the backcourt.

Coach Floyd Wilson will start Keith Sedlacek, Barry Williams, Merie McClung, Leo Scully, and Gene Dressler as usual. Harvard should win if they shake off the effects of Saturday's catastrophic loss to Cornell, and if McClung and Williams rebound effectively against the Dartmouth giants. But the blissful days are gone when the Dartmouth game was no more taxing than an inter-squad scrimmage.