Skiing Team Finishes 10th in Hanover Relay

Harvard's skiing team made a fast finish to gain 10th place in the prestigious Hanover Cross-Country Relay Race this Saturday at Hanover, N.H.

The Crimson "A" team consisting of Jim Sise, Bob Divermore, Fred Noyes, and Captain Jon Chaffee completed the 27-mile course in a total time of three hours, two minutes and 45 seconds. The Lebanon Outing Club posted the winning time of two hours and 42 minutes.

Chaffee, Harvard's anchor man, caught up with and passed the tail skier for Dartmouth's "B" team to give the Crimson sixth place among the colleges entered. His time of 39 minutes and 35 seconds was the third best performance of the day. Olympian Larry Damon finished first, one minute and five seconds ahead of Chaffee.

Coach Charlie Gibson called Chaffee's effort as the "high point of the day for us" and praised the team for its improvement.

The Crimson "B" team finished 26th in the Hanover event, which was sponsored by the Dartmouth Outing Club and included 29 skiing teams.

Harvard also entered the Invitational Jumping Meet at Hanover. Jim Sise led the Crimson with a jump of 95 feet, but neither individual nor team standings have been announced.

The Hanover meets opened the team's season in Nordic competition, which includes skiing cross-country and jumping.

The skiers' next meet will be the six-pine, or downhill, events also, but they have had no races yet. The slalom and giant slalom are Alpine events.

The skiers' next meet will be the six-team Dartmouth Carnival, February 12 and 13.