University Appoints 10th House Planner

The University has asked Shepley, Bulfinch, Richardson, and Abbot--the architects who designed Quincy and Leverett Houses--to begin planning the long-awaited tenth House.

President Pusey announced the step this week, but noted that the House was still some years away. "The earliest we could possibly get it would be the Fall of 1966, or more likely, 1967," he said.

Although negotiations are not yet complete over the purchasing of the land, the University has decided to proceed with architectural arrangements to save time. "We can't delay any longer," Pusey stated. Talk of a tenth House has been in the air virtually ever since the completion of Leverett Towers.

Work on the House is months behind schedule because of the difficulty of deciding a site. The Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority's 12-acre car-storage and repair facilities near Bennett St. were long considered the most likely choice, but the MBTA encountered unexpected difficulties in moving their equipment and chose not to sell the land.

Since the Kennedy family is known to favor the Bennett St. Yards for the Kennedy Library, it seems probable that their wishes will take precedence if the Yards once more become available.

The Kennedys have offered to donate half of the Yards to the University if they obtain them. Harvard now believes, however, that the most suitable location for the tenth House may be in the vicinity of Dunster House.

The architects have been given a report by the Faculty Committee on the tenth House, Pusey said. The report, which has not been made public, contains suggestions for room arrangements and other matters.

Some of the suggestions were contributed last year by students, responding to a call by Arthur D. Trottenberg '48, chairman of the committee.