Rhodes Scholarships Awarded To Seven University Students

Harvard students won seven of the 32 Rhodes Scholarships announced Dec. 20 by Courtney C. Smith '38, American secretary of the Rhodes Scholarships and president of Swarthmore College.

Five of the University winners are undergraduates: Donald N. Bach of Eliot House and San Diego, Calif.; Ben W. Heineman, Jr., of Leverett House and Chicago; Robert H. Knapp, Jr., of Eliot House and New York City; Merle McClung of Kirkland House and Montevideo, Minn.; and Richard P. Sorensen of Eliot House and Salt Lake City.

Alan J. Gayer, a first year student in the School of Arts and Sciences, and Thomas B. Stoel, a third year student in the Law School, also received Rhodes Scholarships.

This year's winners, of which Harvard accounts for 22 per cent, come from 22 American colleges and universities.

Princeton University, second to Harvard in the number of scholarship winners, matches Eliot House with a total of three. Princeton also has one graduate recipient.

The United States Military Academy has two winners. No other college or university has more than one.

Other Ivy schools with a scholar-elect are Cornell and Yale. Stanford has one winner, as do the Naval and Air Force Academies.

Each Rhodes Scholar receives $2500 a year for two years of advanced study at Oxford University.

The scholarships were established in the will of Cecil Rhodes, British statesman and financier in South Africa. He directed his trustees to set up two groups of scholarships, one for the British colonies and one for the United States.