Crimson Soccer Team Minces Hapless Tufts

The Crimson soccer team clobbered an inept Tufts squad 10-0 in the season's opener Wednesday at Tufts.

The win was easy but costly. The team lost starting wing Morgan Hudson, who collided with a Tufts fullback in the third quarter and broke his arm. Hudson will probably be out for the season.

From the start, Harvard controlled the ball, keeping it in the opponents' half of the field. Tufts countered by employing what Coach Bruce Monro yesterday called a "forest defense."

Bunching six and seven men in front of the goal. Tufts succeeded in blocking Harvard shots for seven minutes of the first quarter.

After many Crimson attacks inside Fred Akuffe finally scored, knocking in a pass from center forward Jim Salton stall. Saltonstall had managed to loft the ball over the gathered defenders. He scored unassisted five minutes later, and just before the end of the half Dave Taft kicked in another. Winger Dudley Blod get next brought the ball down the left side almost to the end line, then passed across the goal to inside right Taft, who had an open shot.

In the second half, Harvard easily penetrated the Tufts defense by keeping the ball out on the wings, then feeding it in behind the fullbacks.

Charlie Njoku and Lunz Hoeppner scored two apiece, both Steve Griffith and Bill Schaeffer knocked in one, and Saltonstall accounted for two goals.

Monro managed to play all 25 men who suited up for the game but said that he was disappointed that Tufts hadn't given his team a better workout.

The booters face an only slightly more formidable Boston University team on the Business School field Saturday morning. The team's first real test of the season will come next Wednesday against a strong Williams squad.