Runners Outduel Huskies, But Dunsky Beats Hewlett

Northeasterns Dave Dunsky won the race yesterday, but Harvardmen filled up four of the next five places to give the Crimson cross-country runners the meet, 26-29. The win evened the season record for the runners at 1-1.

Dunsky has always been a loser. In years past, he and Walt Hewlett have often shared the same turf and never has the unhusky Huskie finished better than runner-up. Never a close runner-up at that.

This time the winning formula was the same steady plod that had failed before. The difference, of course, was Hewlett. Walt pushed himself hard and was closing at the finish, but he just didn't have it. He lost by 60 yards. Perhaps he'll need a couple more weeks to regain the form that has made him a Harvard legend.

And had topped Allen twice in the two-mile last spring, but this time Allen edged ahead in the fourth mile, and Kneeland couldn't stay with him.

"I felt good, real good," said Allen. "For a while there I thought I might get Walt and Dunsky."

After Kneeland came Crimson sophomores Bob Stempson and Joe Ryan, who wrapped up the victory for Harvard. They were followed by three Northeastern runners, then Dick Howe, the advanced placement sophomore who almost saved last Saturday's meet with Providence.

Jim Baker, Harvard's fifth scorer in the meet with the Friars, was way back in the pack this time.

Yesterday's course was a little longer than the one for the opening meet, but not much more imaginative. The Crimson runners are idle until next Saturday, when they take on Brown.