THE UHS PULSE

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

In taking the pulse of the University Health Services (Registration Issue 1965), Sanford Ungar did a thorough examination yet missed a few beats.

The "Faculty members" charge that psychiatrists (or for that matter any other UHS physician) have broken patients' confidence is, to me, unbelievable and, if true, represents a clear departure from professional conduct and of UHS policy and the details should be made known to the Director of the service.

The observation that the University Health Services does not have an ambulance is true but needs qualification. Ambulance service is provided for UHS and the Harvard community by the University Police, who maintain two (soon to be three) dual purpose cruiser-ambulances, fully equipped and always in contact with police headquarters through mobile radio units. Police officers receive emergency training at UHS and physicians accompany them in serious cases. In addition, commercial ambulances serve the UHS regularly for routine transportation and in standby status during large public events. The Cambridge Rescue Service has been of immeasurable help in rare life-threatening situations.

The nighttime emergency service is not understaffed, I feel, but occasionally overused by some members of the community who view it as an extension of the daytime services. The emergency service is centrally located in the interest of community safety and convenience, but convenience should not be the prime consideration in its use during the night hours. Restraint in its use by those who really do not need it will improve service for urgent cases.

These comments should not detract from the real worth of Mr. Ungar's article, which was well researched and well executed. Mark Novitch, M.D.   Assistant Physician   University Health Services