Combined Charities Recommends Low-Budget Projects for Drive

By T. JAY Mathews

This year's Combined Charities Drive list of "recommended" charities will be composed largely of specific, low-budget projects, drive chairman Walker Lewis '67 announced yesterday. A special reviewing committee Thursday night approved the list that will spearhead the four-day Combined Charities Drive starting November 1.

The drive has averaged about $30,000 in contributions from its door to door campaigns in the past. But never have the charities on its recommended list been of such modest proportions. "In this way," Walker said yesterday, "each charity will definitely feel whatever we manage to raise for them."

The smallest charity on the recommended list is a $3,000 school construction project for a depressed area in Appalachia. A program of correspondence courses for Negro students in South Africa is also included on the list. This charity, which is administered by the World University Service to bolster educational opportunity limited by apartheid, has an annual budget of $18,000.

Two charities, the American Friends Service Committee and Miles College, have been placed on the list tentatively and will be given final approval after full descriptions of their specific projects are submitted and studied The AFSC, which was dropped from last year's recommended list, has proposed to spend its money aiding refugees in Vietnam.

An old charity, the Phillips Brooks House, and a brand new one, the Southern Courier, complete the list drawn up by the Combined Charities Drive's reviewing committee.

The reviewing committee is an innovation in itself. It marks the first time the charity drive has consulted outside organizations in drafting its recommended list. Members of the committee included Gerald Ginsburg '66 the drive's research chairman. Dean Monro, and representatives of the CRIMSON, PBH, Crimson Koy, RGA, HUC, and HPC.

Charities on the drive's recommended list will split all funds that are not donated to a specific organization.