Princeton Thrashes Colgate 27-0

By R. ANDREW Beyer

Colgate's football team went into its game with Princeton Saturday as the best defensive team in the country. It emerged lucky to be alive.

After yielding only three points in their first four games of the season, the Red Raiders were crucified by the Tigers, 27 to 0. Princeton racked up 22 first downs and amassed 304 yards rushing.

In the game Princeton's Charley Gogolak set two collegiate records, as he brought his career field goal total to 22 and scored his 135th point through kicking. The soccer-style booter connected on kicks of 39 and 24 yards against Colgate.

After Princeton's easy romp Saturday, one can only hope that comparative scores are not meaningful. For if they are, plan to be out of town when Harvard meets Princeton in the Stadium November 6. Colgate tied Cornell, 0 to 0, and Cornell tied Harvard, 3 to 3. The mathematics of this situation are painfully clear.

None of the other games involving Ivy League teams this week-end -- with the exception of the Cornell-Harvard game -- was especially noteworthy. Dartmouth wrecked Brown, 35 to 9; Columbia beat Yale, 21 to 7; and Penn upset Bucknoll, 16 to 13.

Although Dartmouth had suffered a number of backfield injuries, there was nothing surprising about the Indian's fourth straight win and Brown's fourth straight loss. Gene Ryzewicz, a sophomore quarterback-halfback, ran the opening kickoff 90 yards for a touchdown, and scored again on an 18-yard run in the last period.

Dartmouth held on to its ranking as the best rushing team in the country, picking up 209 yards on the ground and 134 in the air.

Brown's Bob Hall, as usual, did a fine job of passing as he completed 15 of 30 throws. And, as usual, it didn't do a bit of good; Brown scored its only touchdown -- its first in three weeks -- on a 48-yard runback of an intercepted pass.

Brown gained 151 yards on the ground, which could be a good omen for the Crimson's game against Dartmouth next week. The Indians have been getting headlines by racking up big scores against mediocre teams, but their defense has not been tested by a good team yet.

Surprisingly, Pennsylvania won its third game in four for an 18-yard field goal in the last second of play. The Quakers were able to score the upset by containing Bucknell's vaunted passing combination of Bill Lorre to Tom Mitchell. Penn triple teamed Mitchell, and the Bisons were able to connect on only 13 passes for 135 yards.

The victory was a costly one for Penn. All-Ivy back Bruce Molloy, who led the team to 266 yards rushing, was injured late in the first half. If he is lost to the team for an length of time, the Quakers' hopes for a good Ivy season will be almost ruined.

Columbia's 21-7 victory over Yale surprised only the bookies who had inexplicably rated the Elis a five-point favorite. Yale's defense was tough and held Columbia to nine first downs and 160 yards in total offense. But the Lions were able to win the game on punt returns of 54 and 83 yards in the first half.

Next week end, the Ivy schedule is headed by Dartmouth's game at Harvard. In other contests, Penn plays at Princeton, Yale hosts Cornell, Colgate meets Brown, and Columbia plays Rutgers.