SDS Meeting May Provide Draft Advice

Lawyer to Address Group Next Week

The Harvard chapter of the Students for a Democratic Society plans to have a lawyer and a draft counselor address students on their legal rights concerning the draft.

At an Executive Council meeting last night, SDS tentatively scheduled a large meeting for next week at which the two draft experts would speak. SDS will also distribute draft information on the Conscientious Objector form and other legal aspects of the draft law.

Michael Ansara '68, treasurer of SDS, said this action would not constitute advocating avoidance of the draft, but would merely be an effort to reach draft-age people who have moral objections to the war in Vietnam.

Criticism by Dodd

SDS's opposition to the war has been criticized recently by national figures. The Executive Council decided last night to hold a press conference on Monday to answer charges levelled by Senators Thomas J. Dodd (D-Conn.), John Stennis (D-Miss.), and Attorney General Nicholas DeB. Katzenbach.

A number of Faculty members, as well as a spokesman for Harvard Radcliffe SDS, will make statements to the press.

Tonight John F. Maher '60 of SDS will debate present draft policy with a representative of the Veterans of Foreign Wars on WBZ's Bob Kennedy "Contact" from 6:30-8:30.

The National SDS referendum on their draft policy will be mailed to members tomorrow. Regardless of the national vote, the local Harvard chapter will decide its policy at a general membership meeting to be held next Tuesday.

An SDS spokesman said that another press conference will take place in Washington today. He added that an official of Americans for Democratic Action will speak with Paul Booth, president of national SDS, to criticize administration policies in Vietnam and affirm liberal support of SDS's right to debate government policy.