Jaguaribe Fears Return to Fascism In Brazilian Rule of Castelo Branco

Wednesday's military take-over in Brazil was "purely and simply a return to Fascism," according to Helio Jaguaribe, visiting professor of Government from Rio de Janeiro.

"All that separates President Castelo Branco's rule from a Franco-like regime is a hair -- consolidation of power," Jaguaribe said in an interview yesterday. He added that the president abolished political parties and direct presidential elections simply to suppress mounting opposition.

The decisive defeat of Castelo Branco's candidates in the Oct. 3 gubernatorial elections indicated his lack of popular support, according to Jaguaribe. He maintained that the president also lacked the support from political parties. Jaguaribe explained that the conservative Notional Democratic Union Party, formerly aligned with the president, was supporting the election of Carlos Lacerdo, governor of Guanabara State, next year.

Jaguaribe believes that Castelo Branco will retain only a "very small measure of acceptance." -- mainly form the ultra conservatives and the military. Even military support is shaky, since General Kruel, commander of a quarter of Brazil's army, publicly opposed Castel Branco's constitution changes.

Although Castelo Branco barred him self from re-election, Jaguaribe felt it was a very small consolation for the "phoney elections" he was setting up in Brazil's Congress. Congress was now a puppet, as the president could adjourn it or remove members at will.

"It is not possible to have an Intellectual life in Brazil now," Jaguaribe said. A friend of his reported total censorship in the country and Jaguaribe himself has doubts about returning.