Dartmouth Offense to Defeat Elis; Cornell and Princeton Also Picked

By R. ANDREW Beyer

Last weekend was a prognosticator's nightmare. During the first four weeks of the football season I had mispredicted only three games involving Ivy League teams; even my bookie was beginning to believe in my infallibility.

And then--utter disaster. Four of five games ended in a thoroughly illogical manner. Today, however, prospects look bright for a perfect record on a thoroughly uninspiring slate of Ivy games.

Dartmouth 28 Yale 7

It's hard to believe, but Yale currently stands third in the Ivy League standings behind unbeaten Dartmouth and Princeton. Last week the Elis pulled the Ivy upset of the year by whipping Cornell, 24 to 14, Clearly, the sophomore-studded Yale team is beginning to jell. Those 24 points were more than they had scored in their four previous games. And Yale has found a reliable quarterback in Walts Humphrey.

Nonetheless, it is difficult to believe that today's Dartmouth-Yale game will be anything but a rout. It was clearly demonstrated last week in Harvard Stadium that Dartmouth has a phenomenal offense. Gene Ryzewicz is all that his press notices say and Coach Bob Blackman's remarkably varied attack will be too tough for the Elis to stop.

Cornell 10 Columbia 0

Cornell's dismal performance has been the biggest surprise of the Ivy season to date. The Big Red is 1-2-3 overall and 0-2-1 in the League. That record is not indicative of the team's potential; their defensive line is excellent, Marty Monangle is an able quarterback, and halfback Pete Larson is a fine runner.

After starting the season poorly, Columbia has beaten Yale 21-7 and Rutzers 12-7 in its last two games. The Lions' quarterback, Rick Ballantine, who was ineffectual against Harvard, turned in a fine performance against Rutgers last week.

This should be the closest Ivy game of the day. The contest will be dominated by defense. But if Sponaugle is effective, Cornell--with so much raw talent on its team--should score a shutout.

Princeton 54 Brown 0

This game is going to be a real slaughter. Brown, with a 1-4 record, has amassed a grand total of three touchdowns all year." Princeton has piled up 177 points in five games; their scoring average is exceeded only by Nebraska.

The Tigers have yielded only 33 points this year, so it is very doubtful whether the passing of Bob Hall (impressive as his statistics are) will give Dick Colman's boys any trouble. If Princeton can score 51 against Penn, they could probably rack up 100 points against the Bruins--with Charley Gogolak kicking a field goal in the last seconds of play, no doubt.

LAST WEEK'S RECORD: One right, four wrong, Sigh.

RECORD TO DATE: Nineteen right, seven wrong, two ties.