Cambridge Roads Painted Illegally? Council Renews Attack on Rudolph

Cambridge Traffic Director Robert E. Rudolph has been painting new traffic patterns on the city's streets for some time now, but his designs may be technically illegal.

Richard E. McLaughlin, Massachusetts Registrar of Motor Vehicles, has written the City Council that "a very large proportion of the payment markings...have been created without the knowledge or approval of the Department of Public Works and, in consequence, are without legal standing before the courts of the Commonwealth."

McLaughlin's letter, dated September 30, was read to the Council at its weekly meeting yesterday. McLaughlin also supplied the Council with copies of a letter from the DPW to Rudolph and the Traffic Director's reply.

This exchange began on August 24 when Daniel S. Horgan, DPW chief engineer, told Rudolph that "if it is your intent to do experimental pavement markings, a written request with sketches for a permit should be submitted to this Department for approval."

Rudolph replied a week later that "I believe that we can agree with very little trouble, and I further believe that we have been deliberately put at odds for someone else's political gain and also for the purpose of selling newspapers."

1945 is a campaign year in Cambridge, and all nine incumbent city councillors are seeking reelection. However, City Councillor Alfred E. Vellucci, who led yesterday's attack against Rudolph, said "I don't know how any member of the City Council is going to gain by Mr. Rudolph's mistakes, and he's made an awful lot."

Rudolph was not present at yesterday's meeting, but he'll be in the chambers next Monday. The Council ordered the City Solicitor to determine the legality of the traffic painting, and asked that both men appear to answer questions.

In the intervening week, it asked Rudolph to keep his paint brushes soaking in turpentine.