Cardinal Calls Prank No Sin

Richard Cardinal Cushing. Archbishop of Boston, and the Rev. Richard P. Burke, S.J., executive assistant to the President of the College of the Holy Cross, have written Harvard's "Anglican Bishop" to tell him not to worry about his actions at the Harvard-Holy Cross football game.

"Please forget about it. Don't worry about it in any way whatsoever. I perfectly understand the situation and your intention. I hope and pray there will be no disciplinary action taken against you," the Cardinal wrote the Winthrop House senior in a letter dated October 2.

Costume Found

The student had written to Fr. Burke to apologize for dressing in a Bishop's costume at the game and "blessing" the Harvard team at halftime, after University officials expressed alarm and Dean Monro discovered the costume in his closet.

Fr. Burke sent Cardinal Cushing a copy of the senior's letter of explanation. The Cardinal referred to the "innocent gesture in imitating a blessing to the Harvard football team." He explained, however, that "in this ecumenical age when an event like that happens it is greatly exaggerated and misrepresented."

No Ill-Will

"The fact that you are a student for the Episcopalian ministry is proof in itself that there was no ill-will in this matter," wrote Fr. Burke.

The Administrative Board has "admonished" the student for his behavior. An account of the action was placed on the student's record.