Brandeis Refuses Contract-Renewal To Asst. Professor; He Will Protest

An assistant professor of Philosophy at Brandeis will dispute the Philosophy department's refusal to renew his contract at a meeting of the Brandeis faculty Senate next Tuesday.

Daniel C. Bennett '53, who claims there were procedural irregularities in the Department's decision, is also organizing a student protest.

Bennett said in an interview this week that he intends to "get the decision reversed or at least reconsidered."

But Frederick Sommers, Chairman of the Philosophy Departments claims that Bennett "has not case." The decision, said Sommers, "was responsibly, regretfully, correctly arrived at by the seven tenured members of the department. It is not a dismissal but only a non-reappointment."

Bennett claims that three recently appointed members of the department have not had time enough to evaluate his teaching.

Bennett's personal eccentricities, his supporters charge, also influenced the department's decision. The 35-year-old professor wears boots and overalls, drives a motorcycle, and has assigned the Marquis de Sade to his social philosophy classes.