Bruins Bury Harvard in the Mud, 6-1, Move Closer to League Soccer Title

Crimson Drives Drown in Slush

By Jonathan B. Marks

Harvard's short passing game bogged down in the mud and rain at Providence Saturday, and the soccer team was clobbered 6 to 1 by Brown.

The loss eliminated Harvard from the Ivy title race. The undefeated Bruins need only to defeat Columbia next Saturday to gain the League championship.

Brown won the game early by keeping the ball out of the mud. The Bruin backs slammed long bombs deep into Harvard territory where their fast linemen picked up the ball and took quick shots. They built up a 5-0 lead by the middle of the second quarter, then coasted the rest of the way.

Though Andy Kydes scored on a penalty kick late in the second period, Harvard's offense didn't really get moving until after the half.

Up to then the Crimson just couldn't keep the ball moving forward. Wings Charlie Njoku and Dudley Blodget consistently centered the ball behind Harvard's charging inside trio, but the halfbacks were just as consistently beaten to loose balls and the fullbacks couldn't keep up with the Brown linemen.

Even in the second half when Harvard started hitting its passes and controlling play, the Crimson couldn't get the ball into the goal. Shots sailed wide, high over the goal, or right into the hands of Brown goalie Dave Chichester.

Brown Racks 'Em Up

After scoring on a rebound off goalie Nat Bowditch in the first period, Brown really got down to business. Just after the start of the second period Frank Golet lined a corner kick right into the center, about fifteen feet from the goal. Phil McQuire picked the ball off in the air and kicked it in.

McQuire scored again within 20 seconds, after another Brown lineman stole the Harvard kickoff and passed down the center. McQuire took the ball, dribbled twice, then shot for the corner. Bowditch dived into the quagmire at the goal line, but the ball squiggled by him, stopping about two feet inside the goal.

Brown added two more in short order, and a sixth goal in the third period for the frosting.