Law School's Toepfer Quits Admissions Post

By Maxine S. Paisner

The man who has directed admissions at the Law School for 17 years will leave Harvard to become dean of the Western Reserve Law School in Cleveland.

Terming the move "a bittersweet event," Louis A. Toepfer, vice dean of the Law School, said yesterday that his new post will give him "a chance to work in a growth situation that I won't ever get here."

Although his successor has not been announced, Toepfer said that the new vice dean would probably not handle admissions matters. He explained that there has been an increase in both the number and quality of applicants since he assumed the vice deanship in 1959. From 1680 applications that year, the volume has more than doubled to its present level of 3500.

In addition, Toepfer noted the "increased self-selectiveness" of the applicants. "People usually do not apply unless they are qualified to get in," he said.

"Realignment of Duties"

Toepfer said that there will be a "general realignment of administrative duties" at the Law School next year.

Russell H. Peck '43, current secretary of the Faculty of Law, is resigning January 1 to become a clerk of the U.S. District Court in Boston, Toepfer said. At that time, William L. Bruce '46, assistant dean of financial aid and alumni, will assume the secretary's duties.

Bruce's post will be filled by John P. Wilson, an assistant dean. The transfer of Wilson, who has helped Toepfer with admissions work in the past will leave an additional gap to be filled. Toepfer said that additional administrators to fill the gap would probably be assistant deans.

Toepfer, who will begin his new job July 1, described the Western Reserve Law School as "a small school at the threshold of considerable growth change." With only an acting dean, it has lacked leadership for several years, he said. Now, he explained, the university has decided to provide "much-needed resources for the law school to grow, develop, and flourish."