First Lady Tours Harvard, Views Wm. James Hall

"Hm. there goes Lady Bird," joked a Harvard junior yesterday afternoon, looking out a window of William James Hall. It was no joke.

Mrs. Johnson was indeed at Harvard, on an unheralded inspection tour of library architecture and techniques for the LBJ Library which will be built at the University of Texas.

Stopping first for tea with John Kenneth Galbraith, Paul M. Warburg Professor of Economics, the First Lady made a brief tour of Harvard's newest buildings and finally perched on top of Williams James for a bird's eye view of the city's landmarks. Scarcely anyone recognized the lady in a red coat and pink dress surrounded by a bevy of secret service men.

In a telephone interview, Liz Car Center Mrs. Johnson's Press Secretary, told the CRIMSON that the First Lady grabs any day where she can steal 12 hours to check on library architecture." The Harvard tour was only one in a series of trips beginning two months ago, be said that have taken the First Lady to New York City, Yale, and Princeton, as well as the Truman and Eisenhower libraries.

No advance publicity is given for these trips because Mrs. Johnson feels that "she needs most of her time," Miss Carpenter said. According to Miss Carpenter, Mrs. Johnson has said, "A library is like an iceburg--there's more underneath than shows on the surface."

The First Lady was accompanied on her three-hour tour by W. W. Heath, chairman of the Board of Regents at the University of Texas, two consulting architects, her private secretary, and the secret service men.

Also included in the party, which cruised through Cambridge in a black limousine, was Jose Luis Sert, Dean the School of Design. In answer to speculation that he had been selected architect for the new library, Sert Edward L. Pattullo, director of the Center for the Behavioral Sciences, said he was informed early in the morning to arrange a tour for "a visitor." His curiosity was aroused when the Planning Office told him they were not at liberty to reveal the visitor's name. Pattullo was predictably shocked when the First Lady arrived, but, he said, "She was very warm, very charming, very nice."

Others in the building were less impressed. Members of the Soc Rel Department calmly proceeded with their 5 cocktail party.