Indians Tomahawk Tigers, Beard Sparks 28-14 Upset

The Princeton Tigers, with a scrap-book of national press clippings and a shelf already dusted off for the Lambert Trophy, were stunned Saturday by Dartmouth, 28-14.

The first championship showdown in Ivy history between two undefeated teams had been so ballyhood that The Game had not only been forced out of its customary place of honor, but was lucky to find room in the rumble seat.

Almost all the huzzahing had been for Princeton. Among Ivy coaches only John yovicain and Columbia's Buff Donelli joined the Crimson's Andy Beyar in giving Dartmouth a chance against a team that was ranked 15th in the nation.

And the first quarter seemed to justify the overwhelming majority of the experts. Tallback Ron Landeck, on his way to breaking Gary Wood's Ivy single-season total offense mark and Dick Kasmaier's Princeton season record, led the Tigers 69 yards to a 7-0 lead.

But in the second quarter the Indians hit the warpath, and Princeton's reputation of invincibility and its 17-game winning streak went the way of Custer.

Junior quarterback Mickey Board. Whose early-season fumblitis had dimmed his predicted rank as the Ivy's top quarterback, finally lived up to his potential. He directed drives of 86 and 39 yards in the second quarter, and capped both with one-yard plunges to give the Green a 14-7 halftime lead.

Dartmouth controlled the third quarter and pushed the Tigers into the pit as Ryzewics raced 13 yards for a score at the start of the final period.

The Indians added insult to upset three minutes later when Beard hit end Bill Calhoun on a 79-yard pass-run play, the longest serial touchdown in Dartmouth history. In all, Beard connected on 12 of 17 passes for 229 yards and added 20 more on the ground.

Elsewhere in the loague's Brown tied Columbia for seventh in the standings by smothering the Lions, 51-7. It was the Bruins first Ivy win and the first time in recent weeks that quarterback Bob Hall missed a record. Hall was 10 for 18 in the air and ran for three across but fell 90 yards short of the total offense mark of 1616 yards which Landeck was topping by 30.

Cornell will battle Penn for fifth place on Thanksgiving Day in the only remaining Ivy contest. Next Fall's Schedule Sept. 24  Lafayette Oct. 1  Tufts Oct. 8  at Columbia Oct. 15  Cornell Oct. 22  Dartmouth Oct. 29  Penn Nov. 5  at Princeton Nov. 12  Brown Nov. 19  Yale