Ali Takes Twelve Rounds To TKO Outclassed Floyd

By James Toback

Last night in Las Vegas Cassius Clay proved himself to be the Ted Williams of prize-fighting -- magnificent in his arrogance.

Just as the Splendid Splinter used to spit at 30,000 fans while rounding third base. Clay mocked Floyd Patterson and the American boxing public by toying with the smaller, slower, weaker opponent for eleven-and-a-half rounds until the merciful referee stopped the show at 2:13 of the 12th.

Clay put on a dancing exhibition during the first round, shuffling, bouncing, kicking, and skipping an imaginary rope. Floyd landed at least three good jabs and won the round -- the only one he was to win all night.

'Oooop'

In the second, Clay's new weapon was launched. He accompanied every punch he threw with a cry, "Oooop," giving the impression that he was landing punches even when he was missing.

By the middle of the fourth round it was evident that Clay's lightning left jab would be in Patterson's face throughout the fight. The challenger tried countering with his patented leaping left and lunging right, but even on the rare occasions when they landed Clay seemed totally unperturbed.

At the start of round six a lump appeared under Patterson's left eye. Towards the middle of the round, Clay landed a series of combinations to Patterson's jaw and then retreated as Floyd wobbled, sagged, and then slumped to one knee for a mandatory eight count.

At the end of the seventh round, Floyd had to be helped to his stool. He was suffering from a cramp in his back which was to prevent him from standing up straight for the remainder of the fight. He dragged himself around the ring, vainly attempting to counter the light, but rapid fire of the champion. Clay seemed to be carrying Floyd, hitting him at will, humiliating him.

Patterson, however, refused to gve up. Literally helpless and rocking uncontrollably from side to side at least twice in each of the last five rounds, he somehow managed to stay on his feet.

The capacity crowd, which booed Clay roundly, objected to referee's decision to stop the action. But Clay, once again, had done just what he had said he would do: he had given the Gallant Rabbit a "good whupping."