Wrestlers Bash M.I.T.

By Lee H. Simowitz

Three Harvard wrestlers scored impressive pins as the Crimson matmen opened their season by whipping M.I.T. 29 to 10 last night at the IAB.

With Harvard leading 5 to 2, Crimson captain. Tom Gilmore let the Engineers' Tim Connelly roll over him and then locked Connelly's legs in a can-opener hold, pinning the M.I.T. 137-pounder after 52 seconds of the second period.

Harvard heavyweight Tack Chace also contributed a pin by quickly squashing M.I.T.'s Harry Moser into the mat with a cross-face after only 1:29 of the first period.

But Jeff Grant, starting at 177 for Harvard with only slight varsity experience, provided the most encouraging omen for the Crimson's chances this season. Displaying more muscle and confidence than he had last season, Grant manhandled Dave Penny for the first two periods before grinding him down and pinning him at 1:47 of the third.

Howie Henjyoji at 123, Howie Durfee at 145, Ed Franquemont at 152, three of Harvard's most dependable wrestlers, won easy decisions. Henjyoji buried John Harris 14 to 3, Durfee trounced Marland Whiteman 12 to 3, and Franquemont took an 8 to 2 decision over John Fishback. Chris Wickens chipped in with a 6 to 3 win over M.I.T.'s Allen Landers at 167.

At 130 pounds, Harvard's Bing Sung and M.I.T.'s Harold Hultgren clung to one another for three periods and came out with a dull 1 to 1 tie.

The Engineers' only pin was at 191, where Dick Nygren rode Harvard's Bill Malugen for most of the match before getting a quick takedown and fall at 1:47 of the third period. Norm Hawkins of M.I.T. controlled the Crimson's Dave Worcester for the last two periods and took a 9 to 4 decision. Worcester was starting in place of injured sophomore Paul Padlack.