Threatened B.U. Newspaper Granted Freedom in Temporary Compromise

By Matt Douglass

Members of Boston University's weekly newspaper and B.U. President Harold C. Case reached a temporary compromise yesterday over the question of faculty control of the contents of the B.U. News.

The agreement, apparently intended to ensure the status quo, until the University Trustees can meet on the matter, precluded the possibility of a protest issue of the paper, which the Student Congress offered to finance.

Case retracted his demand of last Thursday that News faculty advisor Joseph Taylor be allowed to read all news and editorials for "accuracy" prior to publication. In addition he promised that he would not invoke Section J of the paper's constitution, which explicitly gives him the power to review copy before it is published.

In return, Werner Bundschuh, editor-in-chief, and other News executives agreed to continue to work on the paper "contingent on the action of the Student Congress" and as long as the paper is published "in accordance with the principles of the free press."

Case said yesterday that he is about to appoint a blue-ribbon committee to review all university policies regarding student publications.

Regarding the abolishment of "Section J," which both Bundschuh and the Student Congress have demanded, Case threw the ball to the Trustees, who are the only ones empowered to make such a change. The Trustees will not catch the ball, however, until March 19, when they meet and are presented with the proposal.

Complicating the situation, is a Student Congress resolution passed Sunday which would essentially transfer control of the publication from Case to itself. The Congress would act as publisher, administer the $40,000 budget, and itself select future editorial boards.

Bundschuh has made it clear that he considers Student Congress control as reprehensible as administration control. He said that he hopes "the paper will be given to the students as a free and independent paper. If it is necessary," he continued, "we will go off campus."

It is uncertain whether the paper could survive on its own.

The Student Congress is sponsoring a rally at 12:30 p.m. today in front of the Student Union.