Yearbook Chiefs Will Not Publish 'Cambridge 38'

Publication of the magazine Cambridge 38 has peen suspended for this year, according to Robert H. Loeffier '65, president of Harvard Yearbook Publications.

In the past, "the experimental format of the magazine has provided an outlet for creative student writing and photography," Loeffier said. "But this year we felt that the yearbook itself had a new format which demanded all our time, talent, and material."

"Cambridge 38 was not financially successful last year, but it was not money problems which forced it to leave the field," Loeffler said. Last year's issues were subsidized by the Yearbook, and a single issue, to be published this spring, was to be financed in the same way.

A majority of the Yearbook executive board, however, felt that a single issue was really no better than none at all. "If Cambridge 38 is going to come out, it must come out as a magazine," Loeffler explained. "And to be a magazine," he added, "it must come out fairly often."

The main feature of the cancelled issue, a photographic essay by Paul W. Williams '65, will appear in 329, the current yearbook.

Williams himself, who was to edit Cambridge 38, has been incorporated into "the Book"; he was elected to the position of Associate Editor.

Although the magazine has officially suspended, and not terminated publication, Loeffler could not say how long it would be before the next issue would appear. "My mind thinks in terms of ideas, not numbers. I think up the ideas, other people can execute them."