Copland to Live at College While Taping TV Series

By Stephen Bello

Aaron Copland will spend three weeks at Harvard this spring while he makes a television series on "Music in the '20's" for WGBH, the Boston educational television station.

The 64-year-old composer will spend the week of April 9-16 in a guest suite at Leverett House and the weeks of March 12-19 and May 1-8 at Dana-Palmer, a University residence house near the Union.

Richard T. Gill '48, Master of Leverett House, said yesterday that he hopes to arrange an informal dinner during Copland's visit to which members of Leverett who are interested in music would be invited.

Copland will tape 12 programs loosely based on the Charles Eliot Norton Lectures he delivered at Harvard in 1951-52. The lectures were entitled "Music and Imagination." Robert L. Larsen '54, who is now program director of WGBH, remembered the lectures from his undergraduate days and invited Copland to repeat them for television.

70-Hour Week

Four programs will be taped each week so Copland will probably not have much free time to spend at the University. "He will be working a 70-hour week with us," David N. Davis, the producer of the series said yesterday. "What he chooses to do with the rest of his time will, of course, be up to him," Davis added.

Each program will consist of a 15 minute lecture by Copland and 15 minutes of musical examples performed by soloists and a large orchestra. The original lectures, which lasted 6 hours without musical illustration, have been drastically condensed for the television series.