Six Opposes Dartmouth In Final Watson Match

The Harvard hockey varsity plays its last Watson Rink game of the season tonight when it faces off with Ivy contender Dartmouth at 8 p.m.

With an overall 14-5 record and a 6-2 mark in the Ivy League, the Indians have to be rated the favorite over the Crimson, which is 6-14 overall and 1-5 in the league. But Dartmouth needed three third-period goals to pull out a 5-3 victory over Harvard at Hanover last month, and the home ice advantage could produce a Crimson upset.

Dartmouth will have plenty of incentive tonight--it needs to win all the rest of its league games to stay in the running for the Ivy crown. If the Green can beat Harvard and Cornell, while Brown, now 7-1, loses either to Cornell or Princeton, the two schools will tie for the title that the Indians won by half a game over the Bruins last year.

The Crimson obviously isn't going anyplace itself, but a victory over one of the contenders in its last game at Watson gives the Crimson something to work for.

Indian Scorer

The Indian to watch tonight will be right-wing Dean Mathews, who has 25 goals and 18 assists in just 19 games and is one of the leading scorers in the East. He may be ready to explode tonight--he's had only one assist in his last two games after getting at least one goal in each of the previous ten. Against Harvard last month, he scored four of his team's five goals.

Center Doug Hayes, who occasionally skates on Mathews' line, is the Green's other producer, with 14 goals and 24 assists. In comparison, Harvard's three leading scorers, Baldy Smith, Dennis McCullough, and Pete Waldinger, have 13 points each.