Clark to Captain Sextet; Daly, Burnes Win Cups

By Joel Havemann

Bobby Clark, Harvard's highest scoring defenseman, was elected captain of next year's hockey varsity Wednesday night.

The John Tudor Memorial Cup, for the most valuable player of the past season, was awarded to Captain John Daly, also a defenseman. Right-wing Kenny Burnes won the Donald Angier Hockey Trophy as the most improved skater.

Clark and Daly, the new captain and the old, backboned the Crimson defense this year. Clark is the kind of defenseman who is best at moving the puck--toward the end of the season he set up several goals by starting with the puck in his defensive zone and carrying it all the way around the opponent's goal.

Harvard fans will remember Daly as the hefty rearguard who was forever creaming some opposing forward whom he particularly disliked. These tactics earned him 60 minutes of penalties, almost twice as much as anyone else could draw, but they also gave the Crimson goalies some needed protection.

Burnes was fourth on the team in scoring with seven goals and seven assists. His habit of digging the puck away from much bigger opponents made him an excellent defensive player and penalty-killer.

Waldinger Leads Scorers

The season's scoring honors went to sophomore Pete Waldinger, who picked up a goal and two assists against Yale in the last game of the year to boost his point total to 21. For the third straight year, a frustrated Baldy Smith finished second, scoring two goals in each of the last two games to reach 20 points for the season. Waldinger and sophomore Dennis McCullough led in goals with nine apiece; Smith captured assist honors with 13.

Only five of this season's varsity, whose final record was 9-15, will graduate this year, and some of the best skaters will be back. Sophomores scored 34 of Harvard's 67 goals, and sophomore Bill Fitzsimmons was half of the fine goal-tending tandem.

Next year will be worth waiting for.