Franquemont Wins Two; Wrestlers in Ninth Place

Harvard's Ed Franquemont advanced to the semifinals of the 147-pound class in the Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Tournament yesterday at Cornell. Although four other Crimson wrestlers won their preliminary matches, Franquemont was the sole survivor after the first day of competition.

Franquemont, who is seeded fourth in his class, shut out Thor Solberg of Princeton 9-0 in the first round, and then edged Bill Bower of Temple 6-5 in the quarterfinals. Today Franquemont will face Army's Mark Scureman, the first-seeded wrestler at 147.

After the first day, the Crimson is in ninth place with a total of 8 points, ahead of every other Ivy League team except Cornell. Navy leads the tournament, with Syracuse and Pitt tied for second. Lehigh, the favorite, languishes in fifth.

Howie Henjyoji at 123, Howie Durfee at 137, Captain Ben Brooks at 191, and heavyweight Tack Chace all won their first matches for Harvard. Chace scored the Crimson's only fall so far in the tournament by pinning Steve Pitler of Temple at 2:22.

But in the quarterfinals, Chace had the misfortune to be matched against Jim Nance, the Syracuse All-America fullback who has taken the heavyweight championship in the Easterns for the last two years. Nance, who pinned his first opponent in 50 seconds, took 4:46 to dispose of Chaco.

Harvard fared no better in the other second-round matches. Brooks was eliminated by Jerry Everling of Syracuse 10-8, Henjyoji lost 5-0 to the second seed at 123, Mike Caruso of Lehigh, and Durfee was pinned by second-seeded Wayne Hicks of Navy at 5:29.