Faculty Decision Continues Social Studies Program

The Social Studies program was continued by the Faculty without debate yesterday. The program, up for review after a five-year experimental period, will now become a permanent part of the curriculum.

Stanley H. Hoffmann, professor of Government and chairman of the Committee on Degrees in Social Studies, said last night that the decision of the Faculty not to require a vote on continuing Social Studies might be interpreted as giving the Committee on Degrees a new degree of flexibility.

There may be an increase in the staff of the program next year. Hoffmann said, and this would be used first to provide more individual attention for students, and later to expand the program slightly. Any increase in the number of students selected will be very small be added.

The new status of the program, Hoffmann said, will make it more attractive to members of the departments from which it drawn. He said he has been "delighted with the number of volunteers for next year's staff." In its early years, Social Studies had to search for people to fill its staff.